Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, January 11, 2019

A New Commandment

A new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another. John 3:34-35

January, a new year. In my research for today's devotion, I found the word "new" to be a very rich term with endless possibilities. A new car, new house, new clothes, new TV show, new cruise, new job, on and on. And, in my sunset years, it's nice to think back on the good "old" days, and I have fond memories of experiencing all the new things just mentioned. However, all of those items are just things, all temporary, easily lost, often easily forgotten. What is really new, positive, permanent, enduring? Read again John 13:34: a new commandment, love one another the constant theme. And, just as powerful, verse 35, the constant theme that love for one another makes all men know we are disciples of Jesus Christ.

Prayer: Our Heavenly Father, as we continue on our Christian journey, may we always remember the new commandment, that we love one another as Jesus has loved us. Amen.

Ned Eastlack (reprinted from Daily Devotional Book, 2008)

No comments:

Post a Comment