Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, December 5, 2018

We've a Story to Tell the Nations

How then will they call on him in whom they have not believed? And how are they to believe in him of whom they have never heard? And how are they to hear without someone preaching? And how are they to preach unless they are sent? As it is written, “How beautiful are the feet of those who preach the good news!” Romans 10:11-15

Do you ever get a song stuck in your head that you just can’t get rid of?  I usually blame what is playing on the radio, or something used in a repetitive commercial but not this week. This week I have a hymn. It started with the chorus and then built verse by verse in a glimpse of my childhood. I am generally a fan of older hymns; rhyming verse with a simple rhythm that is repetitive and familiar. “We’ve a story to Tell to the Nations” is something that I remember my grandmother singing. I always loved the chorus:

“The darkness has turned to the dawning and the dawning to noonday bright, for Christ’s great kingdom has come to earth – the kingdom of love and light.”  

In looking at the hymn as a whole the verses have a wonderful message – share God’s story – in your life. Each verse expands on this and asks that we all share the message, in word, in song, in truth and in life. In reading other interpretations of this hymn, I found that it isn’t often published in newer/non-denominational hymnals because of its “outdated” missionary focus and the “preachy” undertones in the message. 

I disagree. While this hymn definitely feels “older” (it was first published in London in 1896) I think it shows the ways we can simply and elegantly share God in our lives. We all have moments when we know that God is with us, pushing us into something that may feel uncomfortable, even though we know it’s the right thing to do. Acts and words give us the opportunity to share God’s love for us.  

There is so much darkness in the world today. Human rights issues everywhere, war, fought by U.S. soldiers in foreign lands, food, money and clothing shortages in America, a land of excess. With all of this darkness, it is comforting for me to think of God as the light. And I want to live a life that reflects my faith that the darkness will break apart and let God’s light in.

Prayer: God – please be with us in the darkness.  We share our fears with you but we don’t always share your story with those around us.  Help me to share the beauty of your work in my life through my words and actions.

Christi Moock (reprinted from our Advent Devotional - 2015)

No comments:

Post a Comment