Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, December 19, 2018

Traditions


Jesus Christ is the same yesterday and today and forever. Hebrews 13:8 NIV

In my home, Christmas traditions can be specific ornaments or decorations and where they’re displayed. This occurred to me the other day when we hauled out the Christmas boxes and totes and considered getting it all out, or judiciously leaving some items boxed up, simply because they’re a lot of work to pack again after Christmas. However, when something is left behind in the boxes and settled back in the attic, a family member may notice its absence and comment on it.

I have many items that were handed down from my grandmother and family friends. I guess an appreciation for vintage is the reason behind my collection. One such vintage decoration is a set of letters, “NOEL”, probably from the fifties or sixties. I think of my grandmother and where she displayed these letters each year when I get them out of their box. And if I forget to set those "NOEL" letters on the bookshelf, my adult children may notice and comment on their absence.

I think of traditions as safe places. Safe in that they’re predictable, and we can count on them. Traditions are also great memory keepers; they launch us into reminiscing.

God is our safe place. He is predictable in that He offers salvation, forgiveness, grace, and love. Knowing we can count on these things is comforting.

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for the safety of your love. Knowing we can trust that you are the same today, tomorrow, and forever brings comfort and peace. Be with those who need the safety of your comforting arms this season of Advent. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

 

No comments:

Post a Comment