Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, December 12, 2018

Drawn to His Light

In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. John 1:4-5 

For once you were darkness, but now in the Lord you are light. Live as children of light. Ephesians 5:8  

“You are the light of the world. A town built on a hill cannot be hidden.  Neither do people light a lamp and put it under a bowl. Instead they put it on its stand, and it gives light to everyone in the house.  In the same way, let your light shine before others, that they may see your good deeds and glorify your Father in heaven.” Matthew 5:14-16  

One of my favorite things about the Christmas season is the lights. I like displays that are simple and peaceful the best. I'm drawn to the beauty and serenity of a string of blue lights glowing on a quiet, snowy evening...or a lit nativity scene nestled in the middle of a dark yard.  And what's especially moving is candlelight flickering in a dark sanctuary during the strains of “Silent Night” on Christmas Eve. I think I'm drawn to the lights in dark places because they remind me of Jesus--the one who's able to light up the dark places in my life.  

Receiving His light feels amazing, but unfortunately, I don't focus enough on sharing His amazing light with those who need it. Through my words and actions, I can show them what Christ is like, but it's not always easy to do. I may feel awkward or possibly discouraged by their response--or lack of one--and end up “hiding my light”.  My Life Application Study Bible Notes on Matthew 5:14-16 suggest that my light can be hidden by: being quiet when I should speak, going along with the crowd, denying the light, letting sin dim my light, not explaining my light to others or ignoring the needs of others.

How silly it would be to hide a Christmas light display under a large blanket, so no one could see its beauty!  So does it make any sense at all to hide the beauty and immeasurable power of Christ's Light from others?  Absolutely not. I need to regularly ask God to show me how I'm hiding His light...and to give me courage. Courage to not just glow like those Christmas lights, but to shine in a way that others will be drawn to the beauty of His Light.

Prayer: Dearest Emmanuel, thank you for bringing your amazing light into our dark world.  Forgive us for hiding your light instead of sharing it.  And help us as we strive to “live as children of light”. Amen.

Sharon Irvin

1 comment: