Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, December 26, 2018

Blue Christmas

“Comfort, O Comfort my people, says your Lord.” Isaiah 40:1


“I will lift up my eyes to the hills – from where will my help come? My help comes from the Lord, the maker of heaven and earth.” Psalm 121:1-2


“Come to me, all you that are weary and are carrying heavy burdens; and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn from me; for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.” Matthew 11: 28-30 


Our expectations for Advent and Christmas are a joyful and wonderful time of year. But it can be a stressful time for many people. Everything around us is merry and bright but there is an ache in our heart that won’t go away. Whether that ache is from the death of a loved one, the loss of a relationship or there is something else causing pain, we seek a time of reflection, acceptance and healing.


Some churches offer a Blue Christmas service where persons can share in a time of sadness and seeking hope. Heather Hill created a Blue Christmas service that she gives permission for anyone to use. St. Mark’s United Methodist Church and Lincoln Berean Church in Lincoln offered Blue Christmas services this year.


Most Blue Christmas services begin in silence with a time of reflection, followed by scripture, and a liturgy of remembrance with candlelight. It is a time to remember persons who participants have loved and lost. Persons remember their name, their voice, their face, and the memory that binds them to us in this season. Persons can hold them before God, giving thanks for their lives.   
        

Prayer: Dear God, help us remember that Christmas may not be a time of joy for some persons.  Help us to reach out to those with sad and aching hearts during this season.  Amen.
  

Lois Poppe

No comments:

Post a Comment