Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, December 4, 2018

Saying Grace

For everything created by God is good, and nothing is to be rejected if it is received with Thanksgiving, for it is made holy by the word of God and prayer. 1 Timothy 4:4-5

And there you shall eat before the Lord your God, and you shall rejoice, you and your households, in all that you undertake, in which the Lord your God has blessed you. Deuteronomy 12:7

My daughter's in-laws include me in their family celebrations, and this year we had not one but two Thanksgiving feasts.  It was delightful to share food with others, since most of my meals are spent with my cats by my side.  My daughter's father-in-law always has a prayer at the ready, and I enjoyed two different graces from him this year.  It made our time together even more special. 

When I was little, my family did not say grace except at holiday meals.  I never understood grace, or many other prayers for that matter.  We were taught to be grateful for our food, and for our mother's valiant efforts to make it something a child might actually want to eat.  I figured we should be blessing her, as well as congratulating ourselves for taking the three required bites of each item. But I was careful to wait for grace to be said when I was visiting other people for meals, since I realized it had meaning for them.  

It is so easy to clink glasses with someone before drinking, especially when celebrating something.  It should feel just that easy to thank the source of all our nourishment in body and spirit.  I like to think of different ways of expressing gratitude now.  I recently watched a cooking show where the chef demonstrated how to turn humble vegetables and grains into special dishes by cooking them thoughtfully.  It made so much sense, because we often take for granted the foods most easily available to us regardless of season or finances. I like to think of being creative and resourceful with simple ingredients. Sometimes I will come home late from work, and all I really want is a hot potato to nibble on. It completely satisfies a need. 

I am a vegetarian, and after I stopped eating meat a few years ago I realized  I had always wanted to be a vegetarian.  It is fun to explore new foods, but limiting the diet is also gratifying.  My friend who is trying to cut out sugar has discovered she feels better and has more energy. I am trying to make some substitutions in that area, but I am not ready to give up all sugar. 

We spent a fair amount of time in the car when my kids were growing up.  Quite often we would end up having Car Picnics because we didn't have time to go home for meals. 

I like to think that those meals brought a little of home to our car, and the conversation was more free because we weren't facing each other. 

Wherever and whatever I eat, I now understand the reason for stopping to give thanks for everything that brings food to my body.  It is a way of beginning again. Our food is a gift, and the work that provides it is a gift. I love that there are many ways to be mindful of that gratefulness.  

We can ask that our food fuel us to do God's work; we can remember someone missing from us who used to pour that cup of tea for us; we can bless an old family recipe that reminds us of the people who used to share it with us; we can ask for others to enjoy the same privilege of being fed; we can ask for the food to nourish and heal us and others who aren't well; we can ask that the meal bring us together as family; and we can ask that the transforming power of Communion be present in our meal.  

This a grace from jesuitresource.org: May this food restore our strength, giving new energy to tired limbs, new thoughts to weary minds. May this drink restore our souls, giving new vision to dry spirits, new warmth to cold hearts. And once refreshed, may we give new pleasure to you, who gives us all. Amen.

Mollie Manner

No comments:

Post a Comment