Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, December 14, 2018

The Reason for the Celebration of Christmas

All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet:  The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son,  and they will call him Immanuel which means "God is with us!" Matthew 1:22-23.
This time of year is always hectic to say the least.  My lists are long and seem to guide every hour of every day.  I love it all and pay great attention to shopping for just the right gifts for each member of our family, scheduling Christmas get-togethers with friends and family, writing out Christmas cards, especially to those we don't get to see often enough, baking the family's favorite treats, watching Christmas movies and listening to Christmas music, honoring treasured traditions of the Season, and remembering those less fortunate than we are with activities and gifts.  It is a whirlwind Season for many of us.
I strive to remain joyful, calm, and loving in the midst of all that is going on and even though there are constant demands on my time, energy, and money.  I always try to remember that we are celebrating God's gift of his Son to us, the Son who would die for our sins so that we might have eternal life.  The ultimate gift of Love!
Two years ago my brother Dan gave me a book (on his last Christmas with us)called Stories Behind the Best Loved Songs of Christmas.  As I picked it up this Season to re-read some chapters about my favorite songs, I was immediately drawn to the story behind Angels We Have Heard on High. It has always been one of my favorite Christmas songs. I have always loved singing it at Church, when caroling, and singing it along with my Christmas albums/CDs.
Ace Collins, the author, tells us that the song is still being sung just as it was when first penned in a French songbook in 1855, yet for maybe a thousand years before that, Catholic monks probably sang this same song to celebrate the birth of Our Savior. He continues to state: "What can be stated with absolute certainty is that this Christmas song must have been penned by a person who had professional knowledge of the Bible and an incredible gift for taking Scripture and reshaping it into verse."  He goes on to say that it appears that a Catholic priest or monk is responsible for writing Angels We Have Heard on High.
The song is written in the form of a chant, as it retells the angel and shepherd story.  It beautifully describes the joy of the Angels and shepherds at the birth of a Savior.  Glory to God in the Highest!   It fills me with wonder and joy at this gift that we celebrate at Christmas, the ultimate gift of Love.  The reason for the Season is the birth of Christ Jesus.  

                               "Come to Bethlehem and see
                                Him whose birth the angels sing
                                Come, adore on vended knee
                                Christ the Lord, the newborn King"
Prayer: Heavenly Father, guide me to keep my faith strong and front and center during this Season that can easily preoccupy me with worldly activities. Thank you for the gift of Baby Jesus! I will continue to spend time with you in prayer and reading Scripture throughout this Season. Guide me to praise and thank you daily. Glory to God in the Highest! God is with us and Heaven and Earth have been united.
Connie Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment