Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, July 30, 2018

Serving Chicken Salad

“God is not unjust; he will not forget your work and the love you have shown him as you have helped his people and continue to help them.”   Hebrews 6:10
“Whoever brings blessing will be enriched, and one who waters will himself be watered.” Proverbs 11:25
“The greatest among you will be your servant.”   Matthew 23:11
“Give, and it will be given to you. A good measure, pressed down, shaken together and running over, will be poured into your lap. For with the measure you use, it will be measured to you.”  Luke 6:38
“For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give his life as a ransom for many.”  Mark 10:45
Here at work (in the Eastridge office!) I have a working file folder on my computer of devotions-in-progress and other semi-personal documents. Some of these are just one sentence ideas that I’ve “jotted down” to come back to later. Close to the top of the folder isn’t a potential devotion, but a recipe for chicken salad. This handwritten recipe is courtesy of one of our church members who passed away in 2015. She was a wonderful volunteer who loved to serve: she was a deacon, she organized funeral luncheons, and she helped in the office on Fridays.  Julie Eyth’s chicken salad recipe is one that we continue to use for our funeral and memorial luncheons, one that draws raves when served.
Since the recipe was scanned (I’ve given the original to her daughter), the church has it for posterity. As we continue to step into Julie’s shoes and others who have gone before, we continue to not only honor their memory, but fulfill God’s expectation that we find in 1 Peter 4:10: “Each one should use whatever gift he has received to serve others, faithfully administering God’s grace in its various forms.” 
What can you do today to serve in your community? Your church? Your neighborhood? God is calling you to serve Him by serving others.
Prayer: Dear Lord, show me the needs in my world. Show me the ways in which I can serve You by sharing Your love with others. Show me how to best serve in my community, my church, my family. Be with me and strengthen me as I do the work that you have called me to do. Amen.
Donna Gustafson



No comments:

Post a Comment