Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, July 23, 2018

Phones


But he answered and said, It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of the God. Matthew 4:4

For whatsoever things were written aforetime were written for our learning, that we through patience and comfort of the scriptures might have hope. Romans 15:4

I just shared a picture on Facebook of a man jumping from his coffin, stating Oops! I forgot my phone. Oh how true it is, for some of us it has become our third hand. Another posting was “Tell those teachers, you do have a calculator everywhere you go”.  My first cellular phone was a phone in a bag, about the size of a planner, then I progressed to the larger handheld with antenna, then to the flip phones, then I stated numerous times I was not going to get a smart phone! Well, time progresses and I have a smart phone; I am lost without it now, and it has become a very dangerous item to lose. It has all my contacts, schedule, pictures, etc.  Has your phone ever become more important than the person you are with? Do you put your phone down to drive? Do you only text your friends? Do you find yourself playing games on it rather than engaging in the sermon at church? How old was your child before they became addicted to the phone, three? or four? Have you ever been to dinner with those who are on their phone and it has become difficult to have a conversation with them? 

What if the Bible was the item you took everywhere you went? What if you read it to others and had conversations about it at dinner? When I was younger I was taught not to deface books, but wouldn’t it be wonderful to read, highlight and even write your contacts in [the Bible] (if nothing else but to pray for them when you opened the Bible to read). Now change the caption on the picture, Oops! I forgot my Bible!

Prayer: Dear Lord, please help us to remember what is important in life. Remind us to spend more time reading the Bible. Help us to remember to enjoy those individuals around us in conversation and personal contact rather than a quick text, or just a glance over our phones at dinner. Help us to look beyond our technical equipment to the glory of the beauty of your creations. Amen

Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment