Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, July 17, 2018

Exclusion and Acceptance


“For where two or three are gathered together in my name, there am I in the midst of them.” Matthew 18:20

The sermon this Sunday (July 8) left me with many images, some different than the actual message and then of course the actual message. One of them brought to mind my attendance in a different church. I have had the opportunity to attend other church denominations since many weekends are spent out of town. Now this particular church left me with a sad prayerful feeling. Upon arrival at this church were several greeters making their presence known by stepping up and greeting all those attending. They were outside and inside, now I am not talking about one or two. I am talking ten or twenty. The entrance is is designed more like a theater entrance. As you enter what would be the sanctuary there are ropes closing off the back rows of seating and ushers guiding you to the next available front row. Once the service started the bright pink lights of the stage (instead of an altar) and the white lights flashing are joined with the sounds of a band and four singers. The big screens are filled with pictures and words to the song. After a few songs a gentleman is lead up front by two other men. He apparently is the pastor. He greets everyone explaining that the way they put their arms in the air and other actions are their way of recognizing the Holy Spirit. That all are welcome here, but enters into that if you come from another denomination or have never accepted the Holy Spirit then you are now in the right place. Unfortunately he proceeds to declare that other denominations are not connecting to the Living God. There was scripture reading and interpretation of those readings. At the end of Sermon the Pastor is led out by the same two men and more singing ends the service. The same greeters are there to thank you for attending. 

I felt like I had attended a concert or motivational speaking engagement. It was not the church for me.  Now I am glad that those attending are following Jesus.  But I pray for their exclusion to other denominations. I just read a posting on Facebook where they were debating the exclusion of non-Catholics taking communion. 

I am always thankful to be attending my church that I feel renewed for the week. That I feel all are welcome and accepted at our church. I pray that we greet all those new and faithful members in the way Jesus would. 

Prayer: In the name of Jesus I pray that we guide more to follow in the path to your kingdom.  I pray that exclusion of others is eliminated and we accept others with your open arms.  I thank you Father for guiding me to a church that gives me the renewal of my spirit and strength to live my life on your chosen path.  Help me to welcome and invite others to your loving arms Amen.

Lori Hood


No comments:

Post a Comment