Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, July 16, 2018

Be Steadfast in the Lord


Do your best to win full approval in God's sight, as a worker who is not ashamed of his work, one who correctly teaches the message of God's truth. II Timothy 2:15. 

Do your best to come to me soon.  Demas fell in love with this present world and has deserted me, going off to Thessalonica. II Timothy 4:9-11. 


When I was a little girl, my dad wrote this first scripture in my autograph book.  He wanted me to know how important it was to always do your best; and he wanted me to know, also, that my work was a reflection of God's work.

In Paul's second letter to Timothy, he talks about steadfastness and loyalty.  He tells Timothy to do his best and not be ashamed of his work. Paul also says, in effect, come help me!  Demas has fallen in love with this present world, and has deserted me. 

This struck a chord with me.  I have lost count of the people I have known through the years who joined the church, gotten involved with the church, and suddenly, inexplicably, quit coming and just dropped out!  It leaves one wondering. "What happened?"  Did they feel they had to give up their church and their religion because they had taken on too much?  Or do we push people to get involved before they are ready?  I don't know the answers to these questions. But I do know, being involved in my church means everything to me.  

I think the old hymn fits what I am talking about:

"I love thy church, Oh, God,
The House of Thine abode”

Gerry Draney (reprinted from August 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment