Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

What Am I Waiting For?


For God did not give us a spirit of timidity, but a spirit of power, of love, and of self-discipline. 2 Timothy 1:7


There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear, because fear has to do with punishment. The one who fears is not made perfect in love. 1 John 4:18


I can relate to the lyrics in the song, “In the Blink of an Eye”, by Mercy Me: “Sometimes I feel disappointed, by the way I spend my time. How can I further your kingdom, when I’m so wrapped up in mine?” The song also says: “If I give the very best of me, that becomes my legacy. So tell me, what am I waiting for?” Good question. I think I wait because I’m just too timid! I really want to give God my best, but I can’t if I refuse to leave the safety of my comfort zone.


I’ve learned from the first scripture that although God gave me a quiet nature, he didn’t make me timid. Timidity has to do with fear--fear of failure, pain, embarrassment and more. Unfortunately,  I’ve let fear hold me back far too often! Since “there is no fear in love”, I should focus intently on love.  I want to let my Savior’s amazing love wash over me. Not only that, but I want to show my immense love for Him by giving it generously to others. I need to fill my soul with love...so much that I'm swimming in it. So much that the fear drowns in it! 


I've let timidity have too much power in my life. Just imagine what I could accomplish if I would fully rely on the “spirit of power, love, and self-discipline” God has given me! I could “give the very best of me”. No more waiting around. It’s time to take a leap of faith from my comfort zone--free from the grasp of timidity--and allow the power within me to do its work!


Prayer: Loving Savior, forgive us for letting our timidity keep us from giving you our best.  And thank you for boldly going to the cross so we may always have your amazing power, love and guidance within. Amen.


Sharon Irvin (revised June 2018 from Lent 2006)

No comments:

Post a Comment