Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, June 11, 2018

God at Work


While Jesus was still talking to the crowd, his mother and brothers stood outside, wanting to speak to him. Someone told him "Your mother and brothers are standing outside, wanting to speak to you." He replied to him, "Who is my mother, and who are my brothers?" Pointing to his disciples, he said, "Here are my mother and my brothers. For whoever does the will of my Father in heaven is my brother and sister and mother." Matthew 12:46-50

At a recent meeting we were asked to identify an instance when we had seen God at work at Eastridge. I sat thinking while people went around the table once, then twice. It wasn't that I couldn't think of a time. It was that I could think of so many times that it was hard to choose the one that really showed the essence of Eastridge.

Was it when the physical and verbal hugs of members of all ages have helped pull me and others through times of loss or sadness?
Was it when we rejoiced with the youth after a particularly moving Youth Sunday service?
Was it when we sang songs with VBS kids at Eastridge or Schuyler?
Was it when the light bulb went on for a child in Sunday school?
Would it be the hours and hours given by choir members and Sunday School teachers and Youth group sponsors and Pantry volunteers and others?
Would it be the times when people call you about the program they're working on, then inquire about helping with the mission trip you're setting up?
Would it be the people that loved and shepherded my children even when they weren't being very lovable?
Is it that the fact that you can mess up and be forgiven?
Or should I say the smiles of welcome and conversation from the constant stream of people going in and out of the doors on a weekday as they come in for their projects and programs and I work in the garden?

Now, a couple of days later, I realize that I really see God at work in the way Eastridge and other churches act like a family; everyone going their own way but moving in a common direction and caring for each other along the way; each doing the will of our Father in heaven.

Prayer: Dear Father of us all, thank you for the earthly families we've been given and for those in our church family that love us and work beside us as together we carry out your work in this world. In the name of your son Jesus, Amen

Lori Snyder-Sloan (reprinted with permission)

No comments:

Post a Comment