Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, June 25, 2018

Encouragers


Your love has given me great joy and encouragement, because you, brother, have refreshed the hearts of the saints. Philemon 1:7 


When he arrived and saw the evidence of the grace of God, he was glad and encouraged them all to remain true to the Lord with all their hearts. He was a good man, full of the Holy Spirit and faith, and a great number of people were brought to the Lord. Acts 11:23-24


I'm not sure I realized when I wrote this devotion many years ago, that my mom was the encourager that had most influenced me and that I was most thankful for. I'd like to resubmit this devotion as a tribute to Donna Stalcup, the best encourager EVER!

I believe that behind many of God’s “success stories”, you’ll find one or more encouragers that God used to help that person get there. For example, Barnabas was a wonderful encourager and very influential in the days of early Christianity (as we see in the scripture from Acts). Through his relationships with both Paul and Mark, he was able to keep each of them going when they might have failed.

I think we sometimes underestimate just how important encouragers are. They don’t have to say much or even say it eloquently. We all know that even the smallest encouragement can make a big difference. It can lift you up right when you need it. Sometimes, though, you don’t realize the effect that these people have had until you look back later. Maybe they gave you a nudge in the right direction at a crucial turning point in your life, or maybe they provided you with constant support that gradually built you up. Through them, your faith grows and you gain a more positive outlook on life. It’s so wonderful how God uses these people to help us to become more than we thought we could ever be.

I am so thankful for the encouragers God put in my life--and I’m inspired by their example. They make me ask myself how I can be a better encourager.  Unfortunately, sometimes I hold back encouraging words for fear of sounding awkward, silly, or even pushy. And worse, with my family I’m sometimes guilty of following a compliment with “constructive criticism”, or even criticizing instead of complimenting. Ouch. If I’m trying to teach my children to say positive things to each other, I know I need to start by more often saying positive things to them.

I must be ready and willing for God to use me during any moment of the day as an encourager. Even if it’s not my strongest gift, God has the amazing ability to help me be a positive influence to someone who needs it. (And we all need it sometimes). I just need to pray at the beginning of each day for God to give me the courage to say the kind of encouraging things He needs me to. I don’t need to worry how I will sound, because when I’m speaking on God’s behalf, the words will always come out just right!

Prayer: Dearest God of Grace, forgive us for the times we neglect to offer encouragement to others when they need it. Help us to not only notice, but also point out the positive we see in others. And thank you so much for the encouragement you send both to us and through us--for encouragers are invaluable to building up the Body of Christ. Amen.


Sharon Irvin (edited and reprinted from February 2005)



No comments:

Post a Comment