Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, March 1, 2018

The "How-Tos" of Loving Others


As God's  chosen ones, holy and beloved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience.  Colossians 3:12

We are God's Chosen.  He loves us deeply.  Each one of us is valuable to Him, and amazing!  Each one of us.  Jesus said, "You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.  This is the greatest and first commandment.  And the second is like it:  you shall love your neighbor as yourself".

These two commandments are interwoven.  As we love God, we want to be His servants, comply with his Word, and therefore show love toward others in our daily lives.

In this passage, Paul gives us the tools, the "how tos" of loving others.  As I write this devotion and contemplate Paul's words, I realize how very much I need to thoroughly examine each one of these, and grasp their true meaning so that I might grow in each one of these traits.  I will start with Compassion and next month turn to Kindness, and so on in my devotions of the next few months. 

Paul wants us to clothe ourselves with Compassion.  Compassion is the sympathetic concern for the sufferings of others.  It embodies empathy and understanding.  The word Compassion brings to my mind two mantras of my Mother growing up.  "You need to walk a mile in her shoes."  And, "There but for the grace of God walk I."   Having compassion leads to serving and helping those who are in need.  I am glad to be in a Church that advocates community service.  Examples of such service are the Food Pantry, our work at the Gathering Place, Hope Renewed's mission, members of our congregation doing ongoing service with Tabitha's Meals on Wheels.  When we serve others in these ways, we are serving the Lord and following Christ's example.

In my personal relationships, God also calls me to be loving and understanding when my loved ones are hurting.  He calls me to be a good listener, and to be nonjudgmental, and to pray for the needs of my friends and family.  It is always good and compassionate to send a card, make a call, take a casserole, lend a helping hand, be a present friend.

Prayer:  Heavenly Father, Author of Love, thank you for your unconditional Love and Mercy!  I know that you want me to love others and serve others, in your Name.  Help me to grow in compassion and service to others, to give Honor to you.  In Jesus' name, Amen. 

Connie Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment