Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, March 6, 2018

Rest


Or do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit within you, whom you have from God? You are not your own, for you were bought with a price. So glorify God in your body. 1 Corinthians 6:19-20

Beloved, I pray that all may go well with you and that you may be in good health, as it goes well with your soul. 3 John 1:2

Do you not know that you are God's temple and that God's Spirit dwells in you? 1 Corinthians 3:16

If anyone destroys God's temple, God will destroy him. For God's temple is holy, and you are that temple.  1 Corinthians 3:17

For you formed my inward parts; you knitted me together in my mother's womb. I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made. Wonderful are your works; my soul knows it very well. Psalm 139:13-14

I appeal to you therefore, brothers, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies as a living sacrifice, holy and acceptable to God, which is your spiritual worship. Do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewal of your mind, that by testing you may discern what is the will of God, what is good and acceptable and perfect. Romans 12:1-2

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13

So, whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God. 1 Corinthians 10:31

A man who is kind benefits himself, but a cruel man hurts himself.  Proverbs 11:17

So then, there remains a Sabbath rest for the people of God, for whoever has entered God's rest has also rested from his works as God did from his. Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience.  Hebrews 4:9-11

For none of us lives to himself, and none of us dies to himself. For if we live, we live to the Lord, and if we die, we die to the Lord. So then, whether we live or whether we die, we are the Lord's. Romans 14:7-8

And he answered, “You shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind, and your neighbor as yourself.”  Luke 10:27

I came down with a terrible sinus infection,  and with all the other symptoms I became very tired, literally dragging myself to complete my daily tasks. Going to work because I felt obligated not to let other co-workers down, didn't want them to have to fill in or someone get called in on their day off to cover for me.  Oh, I have rescheduled my own schedule to cover for co-workers but for some reason I don't feel worthy of asking others to rearrange their plans for me.  I eventually ended up sitting in a doctor’s office and having my doctor say to me as I have heard different times before " you need to rest. You need rest!"  Leaving the office with prescription and instructions to drink plenty of fluids and REST.  Reluctantly I gave up cancelled commitments and called in to work.  I always blame my upbringing to become a reliable individual that I now sat at home feeling guilty for resting.  As I contemplated my mood and feelings I found myself looking up references in the bible that say it's okay to rest.  God rested on the seventh day, it's a day to keep holy and rest and refresh your soul.  I found several references that my body is God's and I am to treat it as a temple of the Holy Spirit.  So am I treating it with respect and giving it the care it needs?  

I remember a billboard that used to be posted on O Street, it always caught my attention; it read something like " take care of your body, where else are you going to live"!

Prayer: Dear Heavenly Father, help me to respect my body and give it the attention it deserves. Help me to remember I am yours and I should treasure and protect this precious gift you have given me. Help others to learn to respect their gift and give them the strength they need to follow your will.  Give me the strength to follow your instructions and continue in the path you have set forth! In Jesus name, Amen.

Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment