Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Deepening Prayer and Relationship

For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. John 3:16  

Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God’s will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thess. 5:16-18


The details are long forgotten, but the words of John 3:16 have been memorized in my head and heart since middle school. In Marion, Ohio I visited the church of my best friend since elementary school, Kathy, and all of the youth that day learned this verse.

The second verse, one of my favorites, I see every day on the mirror in our bathroom. I am trying to talk to God more each day, trying to see his wonders all around me, if only I would stop and take time for Him. My daily living would be so much more fulfilling and less stressful if I would be in communion with God continually. I want to learn how to discern God’s will and really listen for his voice; to be still instead of continuing my own words in prayer; and most importantly to deepen my daily personal relationship with Him. That is my Lenten focus this year.


Prayer: Dear Father, Forgive me for neglecting spending time with you. I use my busyness as an excuse. But as the patient and loving Father you are, you wait for me and I am truly thankful. The precious gift of your Son allows me this personal relationship with you and I so want our relationship to deepen and grow ever since my own baptism and memorizing John 3:16 many years ago. Create in me a clean heart, O God, and put a new and right spirit within me. [Psalm 51:10] Amen.


Cathy Schapmann (reprinted from 2017)

No comments:

Post a Comment