Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, November 6, 2017

“Lord, help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that you and I together can’t handle”


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11

 
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil, for you are with me; your rod and your staff, they comfort me. Psalm 23:4
 

I can do all things through him who strengthens me. Philippians 4:13 

 
“Lord, help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that you and I together can’t handle”
 

This is the inscription on a small plaque I have in my kitchen window (shown below!), and it has been in the kitchen window in every home I’ve lived in since leaving college. It’s kind of old and the style is outdated, the saying a bit folksy-sounding, but seeing it every day (even if not necessarily acknowledged) has made a difference in my life.
 

My children have seen it as well. What a great thing for them to see over and over, even before they really grasped its meaning! I know this to be true, because my daughter wrote it in a camp journal when she was in elementary school. This truly shows the power of reinforcement. Sometimes I think we dismiss things because no one seems to be paying attention; but, we may be “paying attention” and not even realize it.
 

Prayer: Thank you, Lord, for your promise of being with us, each and every day, in any situation we may find ourselves facing. Thank you for being that presence we can rely on and turn to when life becomes difficult or scary. Amen.

 
Donna Gustafson
 

2 comments:

  1. “Lord, help me to remember that nothing is going to happen to me today that you and I together can’t handle”
    I searched for this and yours was the first result that came up. Thank you for cheering up my day! Sincerely, Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Stephen! I hope you have felt God's presence every day since then!

      Delete