Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

I Will Fear No Evil

I was raised in a two story house built around 1900. The walls were thin and there was no central heat or air conditioning. My bedroom was above the kitchen and there was an old metal vent that opened in the floor. I remember I could hear and see through the vent into the kitchen right above the stove.  My father worked nights at the time and Mom worked days. The house was on an acreage so at the time there were no other homes around us. I always felt safe until one night I awoke and I heard what sounded like one man and another that I couldn't understand but seemed to be making strange sounds that put a chill through me. I remember trying to bury my head in the blankets but it didn't seem to muffle the sounds. I kept hearing one say he was going upstairs, let him go. I remember my Mom saying no just keep calm, and lay still. Not fully understanding what was going on and the conversations made no sense but the fear as a child put images of far worse in my head.  

 

Now as an adult I feel the same anxiety, fear, and sadness whenever I hear the stories on the news of senseless violence, fires burning homes and land, hurricanes destroying thousands of homes, and all the people suffering and dying each day.  

 

I would learn later that there were two men involved in vehicle accident and had miraculously walked through the corn fields and ended up on our porch where my mother bandaged and gave aid until the ambulance arrived. One had a broken jaw which was wired for months to heal. These two men came back many months later to thank my Mom and to acknowledge the miracle of someone guiding them miles from their accident by the one bright light of our farm pole light through the fields to safety.

 

So each day as I hear the sad and fearful news, I weep and I pray for Jesus Christ to be like the blanket and wrap His arms around us and like the farm light guide us to safety.  Help us to go out into the world and fear no evil and with each one kind act we slowly change the world into the world of peace.


The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever. Psalm 23
 
Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment