Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, November 24, 2017

Do the Right Thing


“Do not be afraid, little flock, for your Father has been pleased to give you the kingdom. Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will never fail, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys. For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Luke 12: 32-34

I love this verse. I especially love it as we get closer to Thanksgiving and Christmas. It reminds me to expand the spirit of giving. To worry less about what I have. To invest in things that will always be valuable to me. To take actions consistent with my desires. You could insert something cliché here – family, friends, faith… but it goes beyond that. It’s not about the right gift, or giving away all our things, but instead, reflecting the things we want in our kingdom. 

Doing the right thing for the right reason resonates strongly within me. When I am faced with an especially difficult decision I often need to take a step back. Is what I am doing the right thing, or the easy thing?  Am I lulling myself into the idea that the two are somehow tied together? That I will have a greater personal gain from the easy thing?

I feel like there are times we all pick the path of least resistance – even when we know better. It might be something simple – sending a text or e-mail instead of making a phone call or being face-to-face because the conversation is difficult or painful. It might be something bigger, eliminating a service because it doesn’t make money or it is too hard to staff, even if the people receiving the service need it desperately. Beyond these simple examples may be those that are harder still, forcing someone to do something they really don’t want to do, because the job has to be done. None of those are the right thing and none of them make us feel good. But all of them happen, and you can probably think of personal examples where you have chosen between right, and easy. It’s embarrassing sometimes. Disappointing others. Certainly not something that we would brag about. 

As humans there are decisions that sometimes have to be made in a moment, and we have to live with the consequences. We don’t always get a moment to step back and wonder, we just have to hope that we have done the right thing and that we are reflecting what is best for our kingdom.

Prayer: Gracious God, help me to more easily see between right and easy. Help me to remember those things I treasure and the lessons I have learned to point me in the direction of right. Give me strength in those moments where right is not easy and I fear I don’t have the stamina to press on. Be with me now and always.  Amen.   

Christi Moock

No comments:

Post a Comment