Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, November 2, 2017

Look Upward and Inward for Comfort


But I do not want you to be ignorant, brethren, concerning those who have fallen asleep, lest you sorrow as others who have no hope. For if we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus. 1 Thessalonians 4:13-14

These verses from Paul's teachings to the Thessalonians speak loudly to me today as I am harshly confronted with the death of a loved one.  In the last eight years, my brother Dan, one of six brothers, has suffered greatly with depression and emotional trauma and has self-medicated with alcohol.  Chronic liver disease has been the result.

Dan passed away this past week, October 15th, after prolonged mental, emotional, and physical suffering.  It was very difficult for his two children, siblings, mother, and adoring students to watch.  (Dan had been an outstanding high school art teacher for over 30 years, and had made a major difference in many young lives.).  Our hopes for recovery, healing, and life were continually annihilated.  We all suffered much pain and anguish, most especially his two adult children.

I have lost someone who was a tremendously large part of my life, who I loved and admired so, as did my children and grandchildren.  With his death, I am trying hard to deal with my intense pain by looking inward to my Faith, and upward to Heaven, for comfort and peace.  This verse gives me great comfort.  ".....even so God will bring with Him those who sleep in Jesus."  Dan had a strong Faith and has to be now in Heaven, with God the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit, where he is experiencing utter peace and joy, unlike a thing I can know or even imagine.  Rest in peace, my special, loving brother!

Prayer:  Father God, all merciful Father, please surround those of us tortured by the Loss of my brother Dan, with peace and serenity, knowing that you have lifted Dan upward to rest eternally with you.  I pray for healing for each of us, his children, mother, siblings, nieces and nephews, cousins, and all those who are suffering pain and loss.  Thank you for your endless mercy!
Connie Barry

No comments:

Post a Comment