Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, September 6, 2016


 

Sheep

Scripture: Psalm 23:  The Lord is My Shepherd...

Of the many Bible verses committed to memory, this might have been one of my favorites.  We sang it as a duet in a tiny church in the woods one Sunday.  We recited it in Sunday school, etc.  Driving through Iceland, I saw the sheep grazing on the mountain sides, free for the summer and thought, The Lord Is My Shepherd, I shall not want.  With no animals as their enemies, and green grass everywhere, they could not want.  Their wool grew long and beautiful; and streams flowed everywhere.

But another verse of the psalm also rang through my mind. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, yes on any day at any time, one of those quiet green mountains could become a roaring volcano with hot lava, lava dust and gases.  Yet they and the people living there seem to fear no evil.  For God is with them.

I wondered if I could have that much faith.  To live in the shadow of a volcano, the smell of sulphur from a mud pot or seeing a geyser or a new island suddenly rising from the sea.  But thou are with me, thy rod and thy staff - they I comfort me.  Maybe I could, do you think you could?

Prayer: Dear God help us each day to see all you have prepared for us.  Help us to find peace.  Amen

Carolyn F. Olsen. dcolsen@windstream.net 

No comments:

Post a Comment