Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, September 23, 2016

Be Still and Know that I am God (Ps. 46:10)

Scripture: "Go and stand upon the mount [Elijah]... The Lord passed by and a great and strong wind rent the rocks before the Lord, but the Lord was not in the wind; and after the wind an earthquake, but the Lord was not in the earthquake; and after the earthquake a fire, but the Lord was not in the fire; and after the fire a still small voice. When Elijah heard it he wrapped his face in his mantle." 1 Kings 19:11-13

Having boarded the plane on my flight home I placed in the pocket of my seat the book I was reading and my journal, convinced that with a 10 hour flight I would have plenty of time to write an update. In doing so a still small voice said, "don't do that", but I paid no attention. After dinner was served and the lights were turned off I promptly fell asleep. I woke up shortly before breakfast was served. When the plane landed I retrieved my book and got off. It wasn't until I got home 5 hours later that I realized I'd left my journal in the pocket of the plane. Boy! Was I upset! Not only had I lost my reflections on all the trips I had taken, but I'd also written down thoughts I had had for possible future devotions.

This was not the first time I hadn't listened to the "still small voice". How many opportunities had I missed for not listening. How often I could have avoided misconceptions if I'd only listened. Elijah was tired of his life being constantly threatened for opposing a powerful king, and by Baal's priests who were leading the Israelites into idolatry.   He feels he is the only one left serving the Lord. He wanted God to show His power as He had in the past.

When I listen to the evening news reporting so much violence at every level and nothing to make it stop seems to happen, I feel just as Elijah must have. But then I remember the psalmist when expressing these same thoughts God says: "My ways are not your ways, and my thoughts are not your thoughts."

God goes on to show Elijah that there are "seven thousand in Israel who have not bent their knees to Baal, and whose lips have not kissed him", who have also heard the "still small voice. "Having had the opportunity to visit churches in other lands gives me that same picture of hope.

Prayer: We praise your name, oh God our Father, and give you thanks for the "still small voice" which guides us and which we often ignore.  We thank you for our fellow brothers and sisters in Christ who remind us to pay more attention to your voice.  Amen.

Devotion by Joanna Kennedy taken from archives (03-21-13) Prayer added by the devotional editor.

No comments:

Post a Comment