Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, June 2, 2022

Like a Mustard Seed

He told them another parable: “The kingdom of heaven is like a mustard seed, which a man took and planted in his field.  Though it is the smallest of all seeds, yet when it grows, it is the largest of garden plants and becomes a tree, so that the birds come and perch in its branches.” (Matt. 13:31-32 NIV)

In the mid to late ‘90’s, I started writing daily devotionals and continued doing so until about 5 years ago at which time I took a break from writing as I was suffering from burnout and writer’s block. 

During those 15+ years, I wrote for the Eastridge page, but I also wrote for the Presbyterian Church of Canada’s webpage which goes by the name of PresbyCan Daily Devotional. At that time, their daily page was published across the globe and translated into 7 languages besides English. I am sure it has grown since then. Receiving feedback from readers from so many different countries was very affirming. I admit that during my break I have missed that aspect of devotional writing immensely.

Recently, a woman named Catherine who lives in Canada sent an email asking me if I would be willing to give up my copyright rights to a message I wrote about the Children’s hymn, “Jesus Loves Me.” It was published in the PresbyCan Daily in August of 2016. I marveled that it was still available to readers. 

Catherine basically wanted to plagiarize my whole message and present it orally to her Presbyterian Women’s Society’s synodical meeting. I gave her my permission and told her it pleased me that she liked it well enough to present it as a closing devotional to such a large group.  

This message of mine after going around the world several years ago like the mustard seed in Jesus’ parable was being presented to a new audience and it was growing again. To me it seemed like one of those “God things” and perhaps it is just the sign I needed to start sharing my faith through writing again.

Prayer: Thank You, Father, for all the readers of Your word and especially for those who affirm and encourage those of us who send out our faith to all the world through writing. In Jesus’ name. Amen

Judy Welch 

No comments:

Post a Comment