Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, June 16, 2022

Joy is not the Same as Pleasure or Happiness

I know, my God, that you test the heart and are pleased with integrity. All these things I have given willingly and with honest intent. And now I have seen with joy how willingly your people who are here have given to you. 1 Chronicles 29:17 

Splendor and majesty are before him; strength and joy are in his dwelling place. 1 Chronicles 16:27 

Let the trees of the forest sing, let them sing for joy before the Lord, for he comes to judge the earth. 1 Chronicles 16:33 

Fulton Sheen says in his “365 Days of Inspiration”-

Joy is not the same as pleasure or happiness. A wicked and evil man may have pleasure, while any ordinary mortal is capable of being happy. Pleasure generally comes from things, and always through the senses; happiness comes from humans through fellowship. Joy comes from loving God and neighbor. Pleasure is quick and violent, like a flash of lightning. Joy is steady and abiding, like a fixed star. Pleasure depends on external circumstances, such as money, food, travel, etc. Joy is independent of them, for it comes from a good conscience and love of God.

Every man rejoices twice when he has a partner in his joy. He who shares tears with us wipes them away. He divides them in two, and he who laughs with us makes the joy double.

I had an experience this week of having a family member tell me I was instrumental in helping him and another family member understand the love of life, all life. The joy I felt had nothing to do with happiness or something pleasurable. It was true joy that went throughout my body until I was at the point of tears. It was steady, like a fixed star.

Another instance of joy I had recently was one of the players I taught free tennis lessons to at-risk kids on junior high school courts in the early 1990’s has become a tennis professional. He is now teaching others to play the sport I love and coaching where I coached at Nebraska Wesleyan. It made me feel I made a difference without spending money, just time, with kids.

Prayer: Father, Almighty God, thank you for the joy of serving others and serving you. Thank you for making humans experience true JOY when their life shows meaning and caring for one another. In Jesus name, Amen.

Sandra Hilsabeck 

No comments:

Post a Comment