Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, October 18, 2021

Servant Heart

In everything I did, I showed you that by this kind of hard work we must help the weak, remembering the words the Lord Jesus himself said: ‘It is more blessed to give than to receive.’ ” Acts 20:35

…to equip his people for works of service, so that the body of Christ may be built up Ephesians 4:12

For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in. Matthew 25:35

While reading The Midnight Library by Matt Haig, there was a passage that spoke of the purity of disappearing in an activity, in having a focus on what one is doing that makes other thoughts and worries go away. “You kind of stopped being you and became the thing you were doing.”

I thought of serving others, and the volunteer work we do. I thought of leading, serving, and other activities that take us outside ourselves and put us in the service and company of those around us. Whether it’s serving in the Food Pantry, singing in the choir on Sunday mornings, or assisting with our children’s ministries, maybe the “becoming lost” can be a little bit like “becoming like Christ”.

Prayer: Dear Lord, thank you for giving us opportunities to serve others. Show us where we can be like you in our homes and communities. Amen

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment