Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, September 10, 2021

Wonderfully Refreshing

You, God, are my God, earnestly I seek you; I thirst for you, my whole being longs for you, in a dry and parched land where there is no water. Psalm 63:1 

My soul is weary with sorrow; strengthen me according to your word. Psalm 119:28 

The Lord will guide you always; he will satisfy your needs in a sun-scorched land and will strengthen your frame. You will be like a well-watered garden, like a spring whose waters never fail. Isaiah 58:11 

Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Matthew 5:6 

During the unbearably hot weather, keeping up with our energetic preschoolers at work was draining! With very little time to stop and rest, by the end of the day, my mouth was dry...and I became light-headed, tired and headachy. It's then I realized how parched I was...I needed a drink!    

A similar thing has happened with my time spent in God's Word. I often go about the hustle and bustle of life, giving His Word very little attention. Instead, I give my “worldly distractions” (i.e. Facebook, watching Netflix, etc.) more of my attention. Then, when I'm faced with challenges, my soul feels drained, parched and unable to cope...I need to drink in God's Word!  

Think about how refreshing that icy cold drink of water is when your body is parched. Aaaah! That's the way my soul feels when I fill it up with God's Word. What a feeling of peace, hope, assurance. The refreshment it brings is unexplainable. Sometimes it's as if it reaches in and washes away my doubts and fears.  Just like our bodies need constant hydration, so do our souls. I don't understand how, after knowing how wonderfully refreshing God's Word is, I could “forget” to drink it in each day. I want to do better! 

Prayer: Dearest God, forgive us for letting our souls become parched from neglecting Your Word. Help us remember to drink in your Word daily...for sometimes we “forget” how wonderfully refreshing...and absolutely essential...it is! Amen. 

Sharon Irvin

No comments:

Post a Comment