Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, September 27, 2021

The Shadow of Jesus

For to this you have been called, because Christ also suffered for you, leaving you an example, so that you might follow in his steps. 1 Peter 2:21

Fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10

But whoever keeps his word, in him truly the love of God is perfected. By this we may know that we are in him: whoever says he abides in him ought to walk in the same way in which he walked. 1 John 2:5-6

I like this poem (shown below) by Edna St. Vincent Millay, written sometime between 1920-1950. In particular, where she speaks of Jesus’ influence (and that of his disciples) like a long shadow. The definition of the word shadow is this:

NOUN: 1) a dark area or shape produced by a body coming between rays of light and a surface 2) used in reference to proximity, ominous oppressiveness, or sadness and gloom 3) an inseparable attendant or companion

VERB: 1) envelop in shadow; cast a shadow over 2) follow and observe (someone) closely and secretly 

For the purposes of the poem, and thinking of Jesus, I would choose “an inseparable attendant or companion”. Additionally, the word "influence" when referring to a shadow is apt. I was reading an article about the 20th anniversary of 9/11, and it referred to the “long shadow” of the attacks...their influence is still being felt today. Like Jesus...his influence on the world is and was profound. I also like to think of the feel of shadows on hot days when the sun is relentless. The shadow is cool, refreshing, welcome.

Let us consider the long shadow of Jesus and that of his disciples, and their work while on earth. We can follow in their footsteps, in the shadow of their influence, as Christ-followers. I like this quote from the author of our Wednesday study: "Learning to live our lives as Jesus would if he were living in our place is not simply the most important thing in our lives; it is the only thing. May we journey single-mindedly toward this goal."

Jesus to His Disciples

I have instructed you to follow me

What way I go;

The road is hard, and stony,- as I know;

Uphill it climbs, and from the crushing heat

No shelter will be found

Save in my shadow: wherefore follow me; the footprints of my

feet

Will be distinct and clear;

However trodden on, they will not disappear.

 

And see ye not at last

How tall I am? Even at noon I cast

A shadow like a forest far behind me on the ground.

~ Edna St. Vincent Millary

Donna Gustafson 

  

No comments:

Post a Comment