Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, September 3, 2021

"No" is a Good Word

Blessed is the one whom God corrects; so do not despise the discipline of the Almighty. Job 5:17

I asked God to take away my pride, God said, “No. It is not for Me to take away, but for you to give up.”

I asked God to make my handicapped child whole, “No. God said her spirit was whole; her body was only temporary.”

I asked God to grant me patience. God said “No. Patience is a by-product of tribulations. It isn’t granted. It is earned.”

I asked God to give me happiness. God said “No. I give you blessings. Happiness is up to you.”

I asked God to spare me pain. God said, “No. Suffering draws you apart from worldly cares and brings you closer to Me.”

I asked God to make my spirit grow. God said, “No. You must grow on your own, but I will prune you to make you fruitful.”

I asked for all things that I might enjoy life. God said, “No. I will give you life so that you might enjoy all things.”

I asked God to help me LOVE others, as much as God loves me. God said, “…Ahhhh, finally you have the idea!”

This was written in a devotion I have from Lori Snyder-Sloan and it was something I wrote in a letter today to teenage grandchildren.

Sandra Hilsabeck

1 comment: