Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, September 2, 2021

Listen

(At the home of Martha and Mary) She had a sister called Mary who sat at the Lord's feet listening to what he said. Luke 10:39

Did you hear me? Or are you listening to me?  Two questions every mother or father or teacher has asked thousands of times.

My mom would say Did you hear me? Followed by, if you did, tell me what I said! She forgot the afterthought one time and I found myself doing every chore I could think of. When I returned, she was laughing so hard, she could hardly stand.  She had asked me to close the henhouse door and I had brought in wood, cobs, shut the doors and checked the water containers.

But are we listening when God speaks?  One of my favorite hymns, This Is My Father’s World has a phrase, "in the rustling grass, I hear him pass, he speaks to me everywhere."

Did you hear the bird call? Did you see the hawks ride the air currents? Did you watch the storm gather and the rain that came to revive our earth?

Did you hear the still small whisper of “I love you” from yesterday's child?  Did you see the half smile of a child or see an old man cry? God speaks to us but are we listening?

Prayer: Please, God, speak to us that we may listen, obey, and be better neighbors and Christians in our lives.

Carolyn Olsen

No comments:

Post a Comment