Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, August 10, 2020

Did I say that right?

Know this, my beloved brothers; let every person be quick to hear, slow to speak, slow to anger; James 1:19

A soft answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Proverbs 15:1
Let the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be acceptable in your sight, O LORD, my rock and my redeemer. Psalm 19:14

As I sit to write some of my thoughts into devotion, sometimes I put it down in words after much thought. I know what I am trying to convey. I find that I struggle to use words that are not offensive to some or express it so it has the right meaning. I am always cautious with texts that I send on my phone as I know that they can be read and the person on the receiving side totally does not read what I thought I wrote. I know that punctuation, spelling and complete sentences help the conversation; but texts are to be short and concise. Text messages are not to be typed in all capitals because that means I am shouting. Abbreviations can be dangerous as some have several interpretations and some are dated to the age, gender and ethnicity of the person. I am not fond of phone conversations, because I can't see the person's expression and I find I can have a more clear understanding of the person I am talking to and what they are saying if I can see their expressions and gestures.

There is so much that is offensive to people in our current world. I find it hard to understand their expectations to eliminate everything. There are designs, artwork, statues, or writings that I find unacceptable or offensive; but I know that to some it is not. I don't expect everything I find offensive to be removed from my sight.  We need to learn from our history as to not repeat it or at least the horrific and harmful portions of history. I think we need to open our minds to change and learn from our mistakes.  

The problem is that too quickly people assume that something said or something done was meant to hurt someone. I don't think that is the case in most incidences, I think people struggle to know how to say or write something that all will understand. It's the communication and understanding of which each is saying but what does the other person hear?  

Reflecting and wondering what it was like for Jesus to reach out to express his love. The Bible talks of the struggles, each denomination of church has their own historical story of what it was to worship God and what they believe. 
Prayer: Dear Lord, Help us to open our hearts, open our minds, and open our temperaments to the ability to understand your teachings. Open our ears that we hear what you want us to hear and not what is leading us away from you. Fill our souls with calmness, empathy, and love for others.  Help us to listen for what others express in their feelings and give us the understanding even if the words are not the same as we would use.  Stop us from our negative receipt of other’s communications and accept that they may not use the right words, phrases or gestures. Guide us to spend more time with you and reading the Bible for the guidance to improve the world in your name.  Amen
Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment