Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, August 26, 2020

God's in Control

O Lord, you have searched me and known me!  You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.  You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.  Even before a word is on my tongue, beyond, O Lord, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me. Psalm 139: 1-6 

During these pandemic times, there are people who have too much time on their hands, and there are people who need to remind themselves to breathe.  I find myself in this second group.  In these moment when I breathe and notice the things around me, I am finding great comfort in seeing the ways that he God of the universe 1) knows what I need, and 2) is making Himself known to me through His Word, and through His world, through His beauty, and through His people. 

The new co-worker who has now become essential

The little piece of knowledge that makes all the difference

The unanticipated game-changing solution just as I am about to burst into tears

The daffodils that are coming up in my yard

The social distancing birthday party Jon threw for me and two friends on our driveway

The good night’s sleep without dreams about COVID-19

The blessing that virtual technology has been to everyone

The text from a friend at just the right time

The knowledge that my dad is living safely in a facility

The message from Melanie asking if we’d like to video chat and drink wine

The sidewalk chalked message

The photo of blooming flowers and blossoming trees Mitchell sent

The vendor who says, “yes, we have supplies”

The audio devotion that helps me to sleep at night

The 70 degree day and the walk in the sunshine

And the list goes on

I know that neither my need nor the surprise comes as any surprise to God.   And I find hope in the promise that God knows me, and He knows the world, and He has lost not lost control.

This song by JJ Heller made me smile last weekend.  It’s called You Already Know.

Everything around me seems uncertain

My weary heart can’t take much more surprise
I wish there was a point on the horizon
Something I could see with my own eyes

I need tell you that I’m scared
I feel completely unprepared
And nothing’s what it was two weeks ago

You already know
You already know
Everything I’m scared of
Everything I hope
You hold my tomorrow
And all tomorrow holds
You already know

I can’t seem to find the easy answers
Someday I hope the suffering makes sense
I just need to know that you are with me
Even if you keep me in suspense

And we talk so much these days
Because I have so much to say
You stay and listen to me closely even though
You already know

Chorus: 
Whatever I’m feeling
Whatever is coming
Whenever the ending
You’re already there
You go before me
You go behind me
Wherever I’m going
You’re already there.

Prayer: Dear Lord of all the universe, I know that neither my need nor the surprise comes as any surprise to you.   And I find great hope in the promise that you know me, and you know the world, and although I am realizing just how little control I have, You never lose control. 

Lori Snyder-Sloan

No comments:

Post a Comment