Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, August 4, 2020

In Memory of Sharon

Sharon Johnson was tragically shot on a city bus and died Thursday, July 23.  I am blessed to have called Sharon a friend, fellow church member, organ student.  

You might know Sharon different ways....she rode the bus almost every day, she was in the organist community...she volunteered at multiple nursing home and assisted living facilities. Always advertising and supporting local library fundraisers, playing piano various places, providing music for chapel services for various chaplains around town, playing flute, handbells, singing in choirs, active in multiple Bible studies, the Corinthians Sunday School class and her Covenant Discipleship group, and more at First United Methodist in Lincoln. Sharon had been a faithful volunteer at many places at various times, including Southlake Village and Lancaster Manor Rehabilitation....I would attend events at various churches when possible, and often there she would be - supporting and worshiping with others. 

Baptist...UCC...Methodist...Sharon was a faithful Christian just glad to be with others. The early service at First church won't forget all the wonderful music she shared...playing piano, flute, faithfully singing in the early service choir with Rosemary Thornton. She faithfully helped served communion at that service for many, many years.

I will never forget the first Sunday that Tom and I visited the Methodist church.  Sharon came over and was one of the first people to welcome us and with a huge smile on her face say "Welcome, I am SO glad you are here!" 

Though she struggled with some disabilities and financial difficulties, she was a selfless person, demonstrating the love of her Savior in ways that put others first.

One night in one of the musical groups Sharon was a part of, a young person shared a prayer request and how they were struggling. Sharon, who barely had enough $ for her own expenses, handed me a donation/gift to anonymously give to that young student. I was so moved by her selflessness, taking the parable in the Bible, where the widow who has almost nothing, gives what little she has. I am reminded of Jesus' words that the woman had given more than others with all their riches.  

After she and I had only done organ lessons for a few weeks, she took part in an OLLI organ class where she played for other retired individuals. I'll never forget the huge smile and joy on her face when she share her music with others. It inspired a few others to take an interest in taking some organ lessons. Sharon loved music and loved sharing it with others.

One of my favorite memories of my time of full-time church ministry was an "anybody, everybody" worship time that my friends Cindy Newsham and Ben Leypoldt helped me put together. We had a wide diversity of people involved.  Some who came included those who had disabilities in the church. Sharon faithfully came every week, played piano, helped set up chairs/other things as needed. If a new person came in to the room, Sharon would make sure to go over and greet them. She was a hugger...even if you had just met, she was going to give a hug, sharing that immense joy and love of people she had right away!

Sharon loved children, though she didn't have any of her own. She was a faithful volunteer every year I led, or was a part of, vacation Bible school. There she would be, doing the motions to the songs right along with the children, laughing and singing, reminding all the adults...these children were the reason we did what we did. I know the Lord brought Sharon into my life to prepare me for a new ministry with rearing children. She taught me patience, love, compassion, selflessness, friendship, and so much more.

"Whoever has done this for the least of these my brothers and sisters has done it for me." Few people exemplify this more than my friend Sharon.

Well done Thou good and faithful servant Sharon - enter into the joy of the Lord! You have "fought the fight" and "finished the race" well!

I look forward to the day we get to sing in that heavenly choir together (and if there's a hand bell part, I know you will be the first to volunteer!)


In Christ,

-Brent Shaw

"For God so loved the world..."

No comments:

Post a Comment