Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, June 4, 2020

With Me


Several months ago, my husband and I, along with our English yellow Labrador, began Therapy Dog training. One of the things we practiced is having and keeping the attention of our dog. An important command we learned is the phrase, “with me”. We would begin with the dog at our side. As we take a step forward, we would give the command, “with me”, expecting the dog to look up and move along with us. As we keep moving, we hope the dog will continue by our side, not pulling away. If the dog becomes distracted, we are to call the dog back “with me” again, watching for the dog’s gaze to meet ours, sometimes stopping to be sure their attention is with us, offer a treat reward, and resume walking; repeating, as distractions approach. 

Sometimes I imagine God, our Master, using this phrase “with me” for his people! The writer of Hebrews encourages us, “and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us; fixing our eyes on Jesus.” Psalm 16:8 says, “I keep my eyes on the Lord. With him at my right hand, I will not be shaken.” We read, “So we fix our eyes not on what is seen but on what is unseen. For what is seen is temporary but what is unseen is eternal.”, in 2 Corinthians 4:18. Proverbs 4:25 says this, “Keep your eyes focused on what is right, and look straight ahead to what is good.”

Many times, when I struggle with worry, doubt, faith or sin, I’m slow to realize that my focus has been diverted from my faith in Christ. Like my dog, I am easily distracted. There are really good sniffs over here; I’m aware of a threat or fear over there; I can’t ignore the enticing smell over here; SQUIRREL!  I just can’t help myself! In my humanness, I selfishly do what I want to do; self-medicate my stress; respond to upsetting forces around me in anger, fear, and judgement; rationalize my beliefs and what I must protect; and waste time and energy on worry and doubt. 

When I remind my dog to stay “with me”, it’s not the intention to control her. It’s to establish trust, consistency, guidance, discipline, love, and teamwork. I don’t expect that she’s simply strong enough to control herself on her own. When I stop to listen for God’s voice, gently saying, “with me”, my Master is calling me back to his side; a place of trust, guidance, calmness, safety, grace, and love. With my purpose and focus on him; for him and accepting his grace, I find my stress is lessened and my thinking and priorities are better aligned with his will, not my own. I’m kinder, stronger, and more resilient to face whatever comes my way, “with HIM” by my side. 

Prayer: Dear Master, like sheep, we have gone astray. Please forgive us. Help us to seek and trust your voice of, “with me”, calling us safely and lovingly back to your side, once again. Amen


Diane Worrell Eaton

No comments:

Post a Comment