Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, June 11, 2020

Privileged

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus. Galatians 3:28

For if there come unto your assembly a man with a gold ring, in goodly apparel, and there come in also a poor man in vile raiment; and ye have respect to him that weareth the gay clothing, and say unto him, sit thou here in a good place; and say to the poor, stand thou there, or sit here under my footstool: are ye not then partial in yourselves, and are become judges of evil thoughts? James 2:2-4

And the second is like, namely this, thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself. There is none other commandment greater than these. Mark 12:31

I never considered myself privileged. I was raised in a working class family. My dad, at times, worked 2-3 jobs, my mother worked outside the home. I and my siblings began working outside the home at young ages. I started at the age of 11 babysitting, cleaning houses, watching neighbors' elderly family members so they could go to town, get groceries or whatever they needed. In high school I waited tables working three nights a week and weekends during high school. My folks provided all the necessary needs; but anything additional I was to purchase on my own, including pep club uniforms, senior pictures, senior announcements, and entertainment like movies, etc. I did purchase my own car in high school. I remember thinking we were doing pretty well, but I do remember thinking or knowing that there were other families with more money and there was a definite separation.

I remember hearing comments about people of different colors. I was raised to treat all with respect and dignity. But I also know there was a fear that was built in during my youth of who to take extra precautions around. I don't ever remember it being said from my parents, but it was there amongst the groups I associated without anyone really saying anything. I remember hearing derogatory comments, but never felt responsible since I never said them. I am sure it was also the feelings of the time period in which I was raised or maybe even the location I lived.

Now in my adult life, I can't say that I have really taken into consideration the privileges I did have without even knowing; I may not have had everything but I never had to worry about where my next meal was coming from, there was a roof over my head, my parents were kind and loving and there whenever I needed them. I may have had to deal with discrimination as a woman when I first started my career, but nothing compared to what others have suffered.

I don't understand the feelings of discrimination that others have had to deal with all their lives. I am willing to listen, learn, and do better. I know that we must all treat each other as we ourselves want to be treated.

Prayer: Dear Father in Heaven, please help us to understand the fears, challenges, discrimination, pain and anger that is within those lives that have had to endure what we ourselves have not. Help us to forgive any acts of anger, destruction or behavior that has built up in those individuals that have not had the privileges that we ourselves have taken for granted. Please heal our hearts, our minds and this wonderful land you have provided for us. Help us to remember to pray for those who are hurting, those who are protecting us and our freedom, those who need to open their hearts and minds to learn and not judge. Father, we need you more now than we know. Father, heal us! In Jesus' name, Amen.

Lori Hood


No comments:

Post a Comment