Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, December 23, 2019

Trust

Read MATTHEW 1:18-25

FROM THE ARTIST | HANNAH GARRITY

I imagine Joseph scoffing at Mary’s explanation. “Trust me.”
“How can I?” I hear a tense conversation filled with tears and
devastation. I sense fear of societal judgement. What will
people say?

Joseph is skeptical. He knows he cannot be the father of the
baby. He decides to break his engagement with Mary.
He must feel so betrayed by her. So, how is it that he can
believe the angel in the dream?

Suddenly, he welcomes the opportunity to parent Jesus anyway.
He follows through on his commitment to Mary anyway.
Trust in Mary, trust in God; Joseph could only have managed
his role in this story with trust. His faith relies heavily on trust.
Deep down, we know who we can trust. Subconsciously, we all
know right from wrong.

In this image, Joseph has just placed the wedding ring on
Mary’s hand. They have just said their vows, committing their
lives to each other. Here, Joseph seals his trust in Mary’s
word, his trust in the word of God, with action.

Whom do I need to let God lead me to trust? Where in my
life is my justified skepticism keeping me from God’s call?
How am I letting my concern for the opinions of society
impede my willingness to act on God’s word?

Prayer: Breathe deeply as you gaze upon the image below.
Imagine placing yourself in this scene. What do you see?
How do you feel? Get quiet and still, offering a silent or
spoken prayer to God.



No comments:

Post a Comment