Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, August 12, 2016


OUR CHILDREN, OUR GIFTS

Scripture:

Proverbs: 22:6  Train up a child in the way he should go; and when he is old, he will not depart from it.

Proverbs  22:1    A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches.  

       Recently I found an old autograph book that I had when I was ten years old.  It was a typical old fashioned tattered book with lots of silly verses written by my classmates and friends.   You know the kind of verse i mean-"When you get married and have twins-don't come to my house for safety pins."

        Another one was: '" I love you little, I love you big, I love you like a little pig."  And then there was, "Down in the valley, carved on a tree, are two little words, 'Remember Me' ".

        But the sweetest verse in the whole book was a Bible verse copied by my Dad.  It said, "A good name is rather to be chosen than great riches,. Lots of love and good wishes,  Daddy."

        My parents were faithful Christians, and I was raised in the Presbyterian  Church, and I've been there ever since. Children are God's gifts to us, and it is our duty and privilege to guide them in the word.  Sunday School and Vacation Bible school are lots of fun for kids these days, and they are wonderful ways to get them enthused.   And the songs are special, too.  I  enjoyed singing them on VBS Sunday.

        Remember how much Jesus loved the youngsters.  He said, "Let the little ones come unto me, and forbid them not, for such is the kingdom of Heaven." 

Prayer:  Dear Heavenly Father, Thank you for our childhoods, and the memories they bring.  Help us to cherish the children in our lives, and to keep them in the church--learning and serving.  Thank you for the wonderful teachers who teach in our Sunday School.  Amen.

Gerry Draney

No comments:

Post a Comment