Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, August 4, 2016


Get Ready

 
Scripture: 

So don't worry or be afraid of their threats.  Instead, you must worship Christ as Lord of your life.  And if someone  asks about your hope as a believer, always be ready to explain it. (NLT)

1 Peter 3:14-15

With my whole heart I seek you; do not let me stray from your commandments. I treasure your word in my heart, so that I may not sin against you. (NRSV)

 Psalm 119:10-11

Restore to me the joy of your salvation, and sustain in me a willing spirit. (NRSV)

Psalm 51:12

I pray that God, the source of hope, will fill you completely with joy and peace because you trust in him. Then you will overflow with confident hope through the power of the Holy Spirit. (NLT) Romans 15:13

 

REFLECTION:

I've been convicted by 1 Peter 3:15.  Am I ready to explain my hope as a believer? No way! In fact, lately I haven't even tried to "get ready"--fears and doubts hold me back.  I sometimes avoid studying the Word because it sounds like too much work for my weary brain. And then when you add the pressure of having to testify and actually "explain my hope" to someone...whoa! Too scary!

Unfortunately, my distance from God's Word has taken its toll. My hope has become less clear, and my trust in God, diminished. The more I listen to my fears and doubts, the further I get from God. I should pray, asking God to show me specific scriptures to overcome my fears, resolve my doubts and kindle my hope. For starters, Isaiah 41:10, encourages me: "Do not fear, for I am with you...I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand." For my doubts, Psalm 145:13 assures me, "The Lord is trustworthy in all he promises and faithful in all he does." And Psalm 18:30 reminds me, "God's way is perfect. All the Lord's promises prove true." I can 110% count on everything he says! Everything! (Do you hear that, doubting heart of mine?!)

I want to "seek God with my whole heart", but know it won't be easy. I need to pray every day for God to give me the will power, because so many worldly things try to pull me away. If I can embrace my time in the Word as a chance for communion with Him, comforting peace, awesome revelations, pure joy, revival of my soul and more, then it can become something to look forward to rather than something I avoid! I should also meditate throughout the day on the promises that have touched my heart. The more His promises become ingrained in me, the more I learn to trust in them and Him.

I believe that all this preparing of my heart will eventually help me to "overflow with confident hope"--which in turn, will get me ready to testify. Although testifying is something I'm not at all comfortable with--I'm rather quiet by nature--Jesus reassures, "Don't worry about how to respond or what to say. God will give you the right words at the right time. For it is not you who will be speaking--it will be the Spirit of your Father speaking through you" (Matthew 10:19-20). I know there are some hearts that need to hear those "right words" of hope-so it's time for my heart to "get ready"!

Prayer:

God of Hope, forgive us for our distance from your Word and from you. Thank you for the many amazing ways your powerful Word can touch us. Help us learn to trust in your promises with all our hearts, so  that we may share the hope that overflows in us with others. Amen.

Sharon Irvin

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment