Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, August 30, 2016


 

Directions

Scripture:

I am the way, the truth, and the life.  No one comes to the Father except through me.  John 14: 6

So Philip ran up and heard the man reading Isaiah the prophet. "Do you understand what you are reading?" Philip asked. "How can I", he said, "unless someone guides me?"  And he invited Philip to come and sit with him. Acts 8: 30-31

The house I grew up in at 6811 Monterey Drive, in the 1960s was the perfect place to grow up - at least for a child learning to navigate directions. One block to the east of us was East Hills Country Club.  One block to the south of our house was South Street.  From there, it was very easy to figure out west and north.

Since most kids don't live one block north of south and one block west of east, there must be other ways to learn to orient and navigate, but in this way my early education was simplified. With this firm foundation in a kid's logic, the world was an easy place to navigate.  And I still don't usually have trouble finding my way around.

In the same way, I can't imagine learning to navigate life and grow to be an adult of integrity without strong influences of character - without Jesus and godly people to walk in the footsteps of.  In addition to growing up in the center of a compass, I also was blessed to be raised by parents and a congregation who consistently and constantly steered me toward God.  So many people, especially in the world today, don't have that good fortune. Thankfully, it's never too late for people to be introduced to the Bible, to Jesus, and to people who can help them to understand the life Jesus demonstrated to us - a life of relationships, and caring, and teaching and healing; a life lived in obedience to God.

Just like there are many ways to learn our directions, there are also many ways people come to Christ. Some routes are easy and direct and consistent. Other paths wander and go in the wrong direction. Those of us who are blessed with a Christian community and a lifetime to learn about Christ, need to patiently and willingly accept and help those who are still learning.  Our lives may be the only Bible some people may read - may it be Good News!

Prayer: Heavenly Father, into your Hand, I place my worries, cares, and troubles. Into your Wisdom, I place my path, my direction, and my goal.  Into your love, I place my life.  Amen  (prayer author unknown)

Contributed by Lori Snyder-Sloan
lorisnyder@lincolnwebdesign.com

No comments:

Post a Comment