Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, August 3, 2016


 
 
                   
  

 Not Giving Up
 
Scripture: 
 
And let us not grow weary of doing good, for in due season we will reap, if we do not give up. 
Galatians 6:9
 
"Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be frightened, and do not be dismayed, for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go."
Joshua 1:9
 
Therefore, my beloved brothers, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of the Lord, knowing that in the Lord your labor is not in vain.
1 Corinthians 15:58
 
 
 

 
Reflection:
 
A few weeks ago I lost hundreds of photo files when my home computer crashed (thousands, really; but only hundreds that I couldn't replace). The drive was unrecoverable; there was nothing I could do but accept that I had lost my photo files because I hadn't taken the extra time to back them up as regularly as I should have. I had a sense of giving up. The hard work and hope that it would take to carry on seemed not worth the effort.
 
I'd felt this way before in my career as a part-time photographer. Once, when dealing with taxes, and then again when I feel the competition overwhelming. It's just not worth it, I think to myself. Move on to something that won't offer so much disappointment and stress with little income possibilities.
 
Then I come to my senses. I love photography. Even if I wasn't making much money, it's worth it to offer a beautiful photo to a customer, to edit a photo just right, to see that perfect shot that's the result of hard work, luck, and/or a beautiful world.
Sometimes it's that way in our spiritual lives, also. We want to give up when the "good" work we are doing seems unappreciated or in vain. But, God promises rewards if we don't give up. Those rewards are many for the Christian...much more so than those for myself as an aspiring photographer!
 
When we "do hard things" as Christians, we are not only serving God with our obedience, we are making that commitment to spiritual growth. Growth that brings us closer to God, and closer to those we serve.
 


 
Prayer:
 
Dear Lord, it's sometimes hard to be who You want us to be. We get tired, we get discouraged, we want to give up. Hold us close to You in those times, offering comfort and strength to continue to serve You and your people through our words and actions. Amen.
 
Donna Gustafson
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment