Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, September 16, 2024

Naughty Words

Watch the way you talk. Let nothing foul or dirty come out of your mouth. Say only what helps, each word a gift. Ephesians 4:29 "The Message"

Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear. Ephesians 4:29 "English Standard"

I enjoy exploring different Bible translations on Bible Gateway, as they offer unique perspectives on familiar verses. One verse stands out to me because I often catch myself using the phrase "for Sh$t's sake." Sometimes I say it in humor, other times out of frustration or anger. While it may not be the most offensive word, it's still foul and displeasing to God.

When my children were small, I would never have dreamed of using such language around them, yet now I find those words slipping out occasionally, even in their presence. My dad used to say that relying on curse words shows a lack of intelligence, as there are always better ways to express oneself.

The phrases "Each word is a gift" and "give grace to those that hear" are powerful reminders to not only speak kindly to others but to also ensure that the words we choose are pleasing and uplifting.

Becky Rankin

No comments:

Post a Comment