Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Friday, September 13, 2024

A Prayer to Start the Day

They also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or needing clothes or sick or in prison, and did not help you?’

“He will reply, ‘Truly I tell you, whatever you did not do for one of the least of these, you did not do for me.’ Matthew 24: 44-45

Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you. Ephesians 4:32

You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden. Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house. In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.” Matthew 5:14-16

In a recent AARP Bulletin interview, Amy Grant shares a prayer her first mother-in-law taught her: “Lord, lead me today to those I need and those that need me”. Amy goes on to share how she embraced that way to start one’s day.

I agree...it's a great practice to embrace! I think of how that prayer leads us to truly see those human beings surrounding us and with whom we interact.

The other part of the prayer offers comfort when we know that we can reach out to others if we are hurting or in need of help ourselves. Both require us to pay attention!

Prayer: Dear Lord, lead me today to those I need and those that need me. Help me to see others and serve them in ways that you would serve them and see them as your beloved children. Likewise, help me to not be afraid to ask for help when I need it. Amen.

Donna Gustafson



No comments:

Post a Comment