Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, September 9, 2024

A Kind Word

“An anxious heart weighs a man down, but a kind word cheers him up.” Proverbs 12:25, NIV

One of my regular customers came through my line recently. I’m a cashier at a grocery store. Doug’s (not his real name) usually smiling face was sober. “I just lost my mother,” he said. “She was 90.” I said I was very sorry and listened as I scanned his groceries. He told me about the dreaded phone call he had received two days before and about the high costs of final arrangements.

I will sometimes tell a customer who shares grief with me that I will pray for him or her. I felt the Holy Spirit nudging me to say this. I usually do so with fear because I don’t know how people will react. Doug was about to leave, and I hadn’t said it yet. Finally, I blurted out, “Doug, I will say a prayer for you.” Doug turned to me with a look of appreciation and said, “Thank you, Nancy.”

Prayer: Dear Lord, all around us are anxious and hurting people. Help us to be alert to the opportunities to say a kind word. Amen.

Nancy Brumbaugh

1 comment:

  1. Nancy, how wonderful. You see so many people and that is a great, heavenly way to help them. Thank you. Please continue to write devotions.

    ReplyDelete