Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, August 28, 2024

Seeing Jesus at The Gathering Place

"He defends the cause of the fatherless and the widow, and loves the alien, giving him food and clothing." Deuteronomy 10:18

"As a mother comforts her child, so I will comfort you..." Isaiah 66:16

The director of the Gathering Place soup kitchen will be joining us in worship on October 20! 

I'll never forget one of the first times I attended Eastridge. My kids were climbing all over the pews and wouldn't sit still and be quiet. I was rather mortified but in walked Becky Rankin. She leaned over to me and simply said "I'm so glad you and your children are here!" You never know whom the Holy Spirit is going to speak through!

Much to my relief, walking in to volunteer my first time with our church family at the Gathering Place recently, in walks Becky again, a smile on her face. She again made me feel right at home. I saw her and several other Eastridge friends, Bill Bevans, Chris Boden, and a new sister in Christ, Ashley, who attends Christ Place, all being the love of Jesus to everyone who walked in that door for dinner. 

People on the edge of life...not knowing where their next meal will come from...some go home to a home, some don't. Kids come in who perhaps hadn't eaten that day. I think I was in tears half the time I was there. I was reminded of a time in my life when family and my church and my job had forsaken me, simply because of who I was and who I fell in love with. But God did not abandon me and people and organizations like the Gathering Place were there for me. I'm so excited Pastor Thomas has invited the director of the Gathering Place, Lisa, to join us in October. AND if you have ever considered serving at the Gathering Place...I hope you will do it! You will find a friendly face...people being the love of God to others...perhaps a new friend...and, perhaps as scripture tells us, Jesus and angels unawares.

Brent Shaw

2 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Brent YOU are a shining example of being the hands & feet of Jesus! Thank you for this lovely reminder of how important it is to welcome everyone around us!

      Delete