Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Thursday, December 16, 2021

Bearing Gifts

When they saw that the star had stopped, they were overwhelmed with joy. On entering the house, they saw the child with Mary his mother; and they knelt down and paid him homage. Then opening their treasure chests, they offered him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh. Matthew 2: 10-11

When I was 6 years old, we lived in a neighborhood with a number of older buildings that were not in very good shape. The tiny apartments next to our house were run down and sad looking. Mrs. Stow lived there. She was old, walked with a cane, and shuffled slowly. I believe she was originally from England. I knew her as she invited me in occasionally to share tea with her along with toast and jelly. The tea was very weak with lots of milk and sugar. One day as I was struggling to learn how to roller skate, Mrs. Stow called me over and presented me with a broom stick (minus the broom) to use so I wouldn’t fall so much. It worked and I soon returned the stick to her—skating freely up and done the sidewalk.

That Christmas, my mother and I were shopping at a supermarket. In the store my mother chose a cardboard box and placed it at the front of the shopping cart. As we wandered through the store, my mom picked out our groceries and put assorted cans and produce in the box. On a cloudy, grey, cold Christmas Eve, before we left for our family gathering, my mom retrieved the cardboard box, added a few more things to it, and carrying the heavy box, she took me along to Mrs. Stow’s place. In the box was a Christmas card with a bow and a large number of items of canned food and produce along with a container of warm oyster stew. Mrs. Stow was totally surprised and so grateful—she was all teary-eyed.

My mother was always aware of people who were alone at Christmas, frequently inviting them into our home or giving them a gift surrounded with love. Think about those in your neighborhood who will be alone during the holidays, or who may be struggling with unexpected financial problems due to the pandemic, unemployment, illness, etc. Like the wisemen, can you help these individuals know that you care and can you give of yourself to help them?

Prayer: Heavenly Father, you have blessed us so much with your love and peace. Remind us to show others your love by sharing of our time and resources.  Amen. 

Nancy Hall

No comments:

Post a Comment