Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, December 7, 2021

Advent Song reflection Day 1 of 2

Some bemoan Christmas music as they are often heavy commercialized, but I grew up with unique Christmas music whose virtue were presented to me from my dad. Long drives full of music reminds me of Christmas in the church. Music is important to me and define what Christmas means to me. I hope to share these songs in several reflections. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cVoANsKnlLs

“Good King Wenceslas” is a Christmas song that does not deal directly with Christ’s birth yet expresses the meaning of Christmas. Christmas is about giving and sharing with those less fortunate. 

I would like us to reflect on the last lines and to guide us in prayer. “Therefore, Christian men, be sure,/ wealth or rank possessing,/ Ye who now will bless the poor,/shall yourselves find blessing.” God guide us through winter with the true meaning of Christmas. Thank you for your blessings and help us to spread this wealth to the less fortunate this Christmas season.  

My second reflection of Christmas music is about “We Three Kings”. Musically it is unique than most due to the fact it is in 6/8 and can change into a 2/4 feel during the chorus. I remember trying to transcribe this piece of music and struggling with the meter which I thought was in 3/4 and 1/4. It still works in those meters, but I find this hymn to be one I remember during Christmas eve service as the chorus is glittered with the organ chimes of a star that rotated giving me an elevated spirit. 

It naturally swings and you can hear this in Ella Fitzgerald’s version. I find this song leading me forward into the Christmas spirit https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L690w1cZSZE

Reflect with me in prayer of the chorus “O Star of Wonder, Star of Night,/ Star with Royal Beauty bright,/ Westward leading,/ Still proceeding,/ Guide us to Thy perfect Light.” God thank you for guiding us to this glorious moment in history. We follow with surety and go further to meet the King of Kings. We thank you oh lord for this moment of reflection. 

My Third reflection of Christmas music is of a combination of Let it Snow, Count your Blessings, and We wish you a Merry Christmas by Ray Conniff. This album was my dad’s go to on the road to celebrate the Christmas seasons. I am focused more on the second song of Count your Blessings. It is a simple song coming from the film White Christmas and written by Irving Berlin. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgmCEvKicyk 

It is the finale of the album. It resonates with me as a way for me to reflect after all the excitement of the season and feast is ending. This glorious day now having finished and the guest or family are gone. The magic, however, last longer than one day. It is the beginning of something bigger. 

It was helpful to have this song guide me as a kid to understand how blessed we all are. The day may be over, but we shouldn’t be sad it is done. It is a time to reflect and count your blessings. Our blessings from the memories and the ability to spend time with those who we love. As a person who deals with anxiety, this song brought me peace and allowed me to wind down after such a joyful day. 

Let’s pray and reflect on this song. “When I'm worried and I can't sleep/ I count my blessings instead of sheep/ And I fall asleep counting my blessings/ When my bankroll is getting small/ I think of when I had none at all/ And I fall asleep counting my blessings” God thank you for your many blessings. We are grateful for joy given to us through our family and friends. Teach us to count our blessings instead of sheep. Help us to overcome our anxieties and trust in you. 

Charles Kendeigh

No comments:

Post a Comment