Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Tuesday, March 16, 2021

Patient Witnesses

Let’s not become discouraged in doing good, for in due time we will reap, if we do not become weary. Galatians 6:9

"I planted, Apollos watered, but God was causing the growth." 1 Corinthians 3:6

I was reading a devotion from The Upper Room last month, and its words rang true: “Like the vineyard worker who proposed giving the fig tree more time to produce (Luke 13), we are called to be patient and persistent witnesses and disciples”. The writer goes on to explain that he is sometimes discouraged when he doesn’t see “significant impact” from his hospital visits, confirmation classes, meetings, and other pastoral work.  

In our Wednesday bible study, we recently discussed how that can feel the same with our children who were raised in the church, or raised in a Christian home. We may feel that they have distanced themselves from the church, but that doesn’t necessarily mean that they have left God behind. It also doesn’t mean that what we shared with them in their growing years was in vain. Sometimes we just need to do the work, and trust God.

Prayer: Dear Lord, it’s sometimes hard when I don’t see results from my work and influence. Help me to remember that you are in charge, and that your timetable is not the same as mine. And help me to understand that that is a good thing! Amen.

Donna Gustafson

1 comment:

  1. Oh Donna, my kids are now 50 and over and I see some results. You are such a great person sharing Christ. Yes, we just need to "Be still, and know that I am God." Psalm 46:10

    ReplyDelete