Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, March 10, 2021

Living in a Fog

Jesus said to her, “I am the resurrection and the life. The one who believes in me will live, even though they die.  John 11:25

Therefore I tell you, whatever you ask for in prayer, believe that you have received it, and it will be yours. And when you stand praying, if you hold anything against anyone, forgive them, so that your Father in heaven may forgive you your sins.” Mark 11:24-25

Recently we have had a variety of weather conditions from polar cold temperatures, heavy snow and heavy fog.  As I was driving to work on one of those very foggy days, I began to think what it would be like to live your life in a fog.  I don’t mean foggy weather, but a fog of no comprehension of God’s love.  What if you woke up each day and couldn’t see the beauty in the world, know the grace, or feel His love surrounding you. What if you never felt the power of prayer or even the notion to pray; what a lonely sad feeling it must be. Muddling through life and just dealing with everyday tasks hoping to figure out how to get through your day. I would think you would be constantly looking for a source of happiness, a purpose, a goal or something to make your life feel complete. You may have short-lived bouts of happiness.  

Sometimes I feel I see others living in this fog when they can’t see anything positive in their lives, when their first thought is something negative of the day, or someone else, or even larger, the world. Don’t get me wrong: I don’t think the world is full of roses and lollipops as they say. I do believe that if you only see the negative you will miss the positive. There are a lot of changes that need to be made in this world, but just for a second count your many blessings. Can’t think of any? You are breathing. You have another second, or hour, or day to share with love ones. There is beauty in nature; the smallest detail is designed by God. I do live with God in my life every day. I am constantly talking to Him; I don’t know if that counts as some peoples’ version of prayer. I just know I need His guidance and I don’t always get the answers right away and I may never get what I thought I should; but I know He is with me. I live with the goal of enjoying my life with all I have. God doesn’t promise it to be a perfect life or easy life here on earth; but He does promise a loving life with Him through Jesus Christ in the hereafter. Don’t live your life in a fog; look for the sunshine, the signs of God’s love. 

Prayer: Dear Father in Heaven: Help us to see the wonders in front of us. Help us to be thankful for the many things we have that we so often don’t see. Open our hearts to see positive even when it seems that evil or hatred is surrounding us. Let us speak the good news to those who travel through their life in fog.  Let us know that it may seem the world is in downward spiral from what we know you command, but that you are there and have a plan and we should trust in your plan. In Jesus' name we pray, Amen.

Lori Hood

No comments:

Post a Comment