Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Monday, March 22, 2021

A Quiet Heart


Again Jesus spoke to them, saying, “I am the light of the world. Whoever follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life.” John 8:12 ESV

My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me. John 10:27 ESV

Be imitators of me, as I am of Christ. Now I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I delivered them to you. 1 Corinthians 11:1-2 ESV

"The secret is Christ in me, not me in a different set of circumstances". This quote, shared by one of the many authors of our Advent study (Wednesday morning group), is attributed to author Elisabeth Eliot. In her book "Keep a Quiet Heart", Elisabeth focuses on learning all we can from those "interruptions" and inconveniences that life throws our way. In the introduction, she quotes Annie Keary: "Do not rush. Trust. And keep a quiet heart". 

Elisabeth shares something different in each day's devotional, but the theme is clear: Keeping God close at hand makes a difference in everything we do, everything we experience.

She shares a bit of poetry a friend at Wheaton College put to music. I think it serves here as a closing prayer:

Lord, give to me a quiet heart

That does not ask to understand,

But, confident, steps forward in

The darkness guided by Thy hand.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment