Views

The views expressed here are those of each individual devotion writer. Thank you to our writers for their contributions to this ministry!

Wednesday, February 24, 2021

Prayer

And pray in the Spirit on all occasions with all kinds of prayers and requests. With this in mind, be alert and always keep on praying for all the Lord’s people. Ephesians 6:18

This Lent at Eastridge we are observing daily micro-practices (from Vibrant Church Communications). According to the author of the booklet, “some practices can be done on the spot, some during the day, and others will take some time and/or preparation.” Pastor Thomas posts the daily observance on our Eastridge Presbyterian Community Facebook page (also found in the booklets mailed out…contact the church office if you’d like a copy!).

Day Two, entitled “Prayer Rhythm” was to say a prayer each time we do something regularly (some examples: brushing teeth, taking a walk). It occurred to me that a devotion I had been working on regarding prayer fit well with this practice!

Usually I have assistance when I do bulk mailings here at church. Eastridge members Lauren and Melinda Holcombe have most recently helped (pre-COVID), as well as Laura in the office. I appreciate their assistance with this time-consuming task! However, I worked on two recent mailings on my own, and it occurred to me as I worked: sticking labels on is a form of prayer. As I read your name when I see your label, I picture you and/or your family for 2-3 seconds. Those 2-3 seconds that I’m placing the label securely on the envelope can be a form of prayer. My prayer and/or thoughts might not hold a lot of detail, but I don't think that's the point. Just an awareness of each church member as a beloved child of God is enough. 

Similarly, editing photos can become a form of prayer. When I take photos at a wedding, I take between 1500-3000 digital photos, in the form of JPEG files that I then edit for the customer. Editing that many files is no quick task, and I find myself immersed once again, while editing, in the day of the wedding. It’s a form of prayer that I engage in, being connected to this couple and their family as I travel back in time to their special day.

In what ways can you add prayer to your life?

Prayer: Dear God, there are many forms of prayer, many ways to connect to you. Show me ways that I can include others in my prayer life. Show me ways I can turn to you in the mundane tasks of my day. Show me ways I can turn to you in the holy tasks of my day. Amen.

Donna Gustafson

No comments:

Post a Comment